Thursday, November 6, 2008

Work In Progress

So I've been trying to drag myself out of the funk that I've been in and I'm not having much luck. I've been working on a bunch of projects that have been unfinished for quite a while to try to get some closure in my life. It's interesting having to make decisions about whether or not to let them live.


This is the hat that I started for Boy. I love it. I love the pattern and I love the yarn and I love the way it's knitting up. But I don't know if I have it in me to finish it. I think I need it to remain unfinished right now. It's Brooklyn Tweed's Turn A Square hat. The pattern is available for free on Ravelry in Lamb's Pride Worsted.



These are the mittens that I am making for my sister. They are lovely and intricate and fiddly and I love the pattern. But I've had a hard time getting the gauge that I want. I am going to try them out again on smaller needles. This will be the fourth time casting on for this project but I love it so much that I think it's worth getting it right. They are also from Brooklyn Tweed from the Fall/Winter 2008 Vogue Knitting.


Another gift for my sister. I had to cast this one on twice but now it's working beautifully. It's Hey Teach in 2nd Time Cotton. It's a recycled yarn made from cotton mill ends and has a beautiful drape to it. What you can't see from the photo is the subtle variations in the color. It's not immediately obvious but it lends real depth to it.


And there's nothing like a little Elizabeth Zimmerman to help you make it through the night. This is the beginning of the Garter Stitch Blanket and it is so soothing and comforting to knit. The blue (also not a great representation in the photo) is sooooo pretty and it is squeezy and warm. However, I've been waiting for months for the rest of the yarn to arrive. It's Lamb's Pride Bulky in Blue Magic and my church--I mean yarn shop--has been waiting for their delivery for months.

So what does all of this mean? What guidance can I get from the metaphors of my knitting? I'm hoping that working on finishing them--and having the patience to wait when I need to or start over when I need to--will help me get some focus in the rest of my life.

No comments: