Saturday, November 1, 2008

What the Hell is Wrong With Me?

Can someone please explain to my why I thought it was a good idea to stay up the other night and watch The Exorcist at half past midnight? I mean really. Who was I kidding? I was frantically knitting with my feet tucked up under me--got to avoid the bony hand that might pop out from under the couch--absolutely terrified.

There are some horror movies that I can handle and some that I can't. Although I've read the book The Shining a million times, I have never once made it through the whole movie in one sitting. It just scares the bejeezus out of me. (Note: The Shining is a great book to read if you have just moved. It is about people who have also just moved into a new place and are much worse off than you are. For heavens sake--all you have are boxes to unpack.)

I saw a movie called Let's Scare Jessica to Death when I was in about fourth grade and, to this day, mumblemumble years later, I have not gotten over it. Every one of my adult fears is based on that flick. About 10 years ago I found a copy on VHS and thought that I would rewatch it and find it amusing--the same way I did with Trilogy of Terror. Hmmm, not so much. It took me two weeks to get through the damn thing and it still scares the living crap out of me. So much for my "now that you've grown up you may have matured a little bit" theory.

Now on the other hand, I could watch Trilogy of Terror over and over again. It is truly hilarious. How wrong can you go with Karen Black. I really can't believe the Academy has overlooked her for so long.

And then there are those 1950s horror movies. My sister and I used to watch Horror Hotel every time it was on tv. Every Sunday we would get the tv guide out of the paper and see if it was on. It was about a girl named Nan Barlow who accidentally ends up in the middle of a Salem witch coven. Fabulous! There's lots of following-the-sound-of-that-odd-chanting-by-
candlelight-in-my-nightgown going on and a great ending. I mean really, how wrong can you go?

No comments: