Sunday, February 26, 2012

Perfect Sunday Morning

Brian is sleeping on the couch.  Heather is sleeping on the love seat.  Smokey is sleeping on the couch pillow behind me.  Max is sleeping under Couch 22.

And I am playing with yarn. 

I've gotten a lot of gifts of yarn in the past few months and each one is better than the rest.  I've had them all out on my desk so I could play with them.  Sort of the equivalent of a little kid wanting to leave all the Legos out so she could build something anytime she wants to.  Although it really hurts to step on a random lego--not so much with a ball of yarn.

I'll show you some today and save some for other posts lest you all get greedy and try to sneak into my stash!

This pile of deliciousness was cleverly disguised in a Bloomingdales box on Christmas morning.


I know I've mentioned before that my parents are very good yarn shoppers but it turns out that my father takes it very very seriously.  When we arrived in VT for the Christmas celebrations I was wearing a sweater that I had FINALLY finished!  It's beautiful fuzzy Brown Sheep Lambs Pride bulky (I'll tell you about the sweater another time--it was a journey) and Pop started asking all sorts of questions--What kind of yarn do you use?  Umm--anything that's a natural fiber.  So the size doesn't matter?  Nope, not at all.  As long as it isn't fake.  And colors, what kind of colors?  All colors Pop. 

I didn't catch on that he was afraid he picked the wrong yarn until two days later.  He's so sweet.  And see what he picked.  The old man picked out Noro.  And not just one skein but two!  And that purple in the bottom corner--that's Malabrigo!  And then he pushed the envelope and picked out some sock yarn that I've never even heard of before.  Good times!

This lovely pile came from my neighbor Denis's trip to China.  He's the father of one of my childhood friends and he loves to travel (he's also brought my yarn from the market in Italy). 

The labels are all in Chines so I have no idea what this is or what the yardage is.  So far it has passed the wool test so I'm pretty sure that's what it is.  It is squeezy and delicious and I love it.  And one of the big balls is enough to make a Baby Surprise so, really, how wrong can you go.  There's more of it but it's already on the needles so you should be seeing more of this soon.

There's a lot more to come but I don't want you to start out your Sunday all jealous so I'll save those for next time.

No comments: