Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today is the first day of (fill in the blank)

Okay everyone. How happy are you?! I won't spend any time complaining about the past 8 years. It's over--finally--and we are at the dawn of a new day.

I have never been so moved by a politicians speech. The fact that President Obama (I love writing that) included "non-believers" when he talked about religion in America is one of the most inclusive, exciting things I've ever heard. Especially coming off a presidency that was so deeply rooted in Christianity. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problems with Christianity. I am a Christian and have my beliefs but President Obama (did I mention that I love writing that) has taken an oath to serve the constitution and that includes everyone--regardless of what you think of their beliefs.

I also loved that his speech was about hope. Perhaps I am naive but I think he will give us an administration that actually inspires hope and belief in a better future rather than outrage, secrecy and confusion. Most importantly, I think he made it clear that we already have a lot of the tools that we need to accomplish anything that we desire--we just have to start using them effectively and openly.

I went to the Yonkers Public Library to watch the inaguration with my community. There were people there of every age, color, style and sanity level. And yes--there were knitters! And there was lots and lots and lots of cheering! But the most amazing thing happened afterwards. Strangers were stopping each other on the street (it happened to me twice) and saying "Hey, we were at the inauguration together this morning." And then they were stopping and talking to each other. It was amazing. I don't know if you are at all familiar with downtown Yonkers but that is not a common occurrence there. It was a wonderful feeling!

No comments: