Tuesday, August 31, 2010

There Will Be Socks!

I have a lot of socks to make. A lot! And it's mine own fault because I have created monsters. You see, I feel compelled to prove to anyone who tells me that hand knit socks are no better than store bought that they are totally and completely wrong.

I've discovered that it's like giving a junkie their first taste of heroin. The next thing you know, they're lurking around barefoot saying things like "just one more pair, a pretty one, maybe with a little cable--and then I'll stop."

This is the basket of sock yarn that needs to get knit up relatively soon. Surprisingly, that's not even all the sock yarn that is earmarked for current knitting. Last night I was on the phone with a friend who told me she couldn't make it to an upcoming party. Rather than tell her how much I would miss seeing her, the first thing out of my mouth was "thank God! That means I don't have to finish your socks." I swear, I'm usually a much better friend.

Since I took this photo, a pair of plain gray socks have been completed.

These are my basic sock pattern knit on 60 stitches with a plain heel flap. The yarn is KnitPicks Stroll in Ash and the needles are US 2 for a gauge of 7 stitches to the inch. Although they look very boring, they were lovely to knit. You see we had several plain gray days while I was working on these and they made me feel at one with nature.

Right now there's a pair of beautiful green Trail Socks on the needles. They're almost done so I'll wait to show them to you.

I think you'll really like them.

I am holding out on the border on my SummerSwatchMe sampler until I finish a few things. By this time tomorrow, I should be picking up stitches.

P.S. It's 98 degrees in the Y.O. again and the compressor crapped out on the a/c in my car. Damn! Damn damn damn!

No comments: