Monday, July 4, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

Bratty Girl is officially a high school graduate.  I still not sure what happened to the little baby who chattered away in her high chair and punctuated her gibberish with such expressive hand gestures but am so in love with the beautiful young woman that she has become.

Graduation was supposed to be outside but brutal thunderstorms forced the celebration into the school.  Which meant two tickets (and two tickets only) for the auditorium and bleacher seats in the gym with a video feed for the rest of us.  Which was fine with me because I could knit. 

Surprisingly, the video feed worked really really well and the mood in the gym was so celebratory I felt like I was at a huge party.  And, I swear, when the graduates walked past the camera into the auditorium, she was looking right at me.

This is what it looks like when you get your diploma on a big screen.


You'll have to take my word for it that she is gorgeous.  And the speeches were all really, really good.  I usually say the speeches are good because it's important to encourage young people but, for real, these were great speeches.

And the cutest little girl was sitting on the bleachers with me.  She was intrigued with my knitting, and it took her while but she finally got up the nerve to wiggle over and ask what I was doing.  Of course I showed her.  Then she asked if it was my job to knit things and, as much as I would have loved to have said yes, I had to be truthful and tell her I did it for fun.

She was so sweet and so friendly that I had to break off a length of yarn and make a little chain stitch bracelet with her.  She was just so sweet.  Very much like Bratty Girl at that age. 

The only downside of the day was my poor mother landing herself in the hospital for a few days.  Turned out that everything was okay but I do hate those phone calls at dawn. 

There was a young man in this cool t-shirt sitting in the folding chairs in front of me.


"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."  Words to live by I think. 

No comments: