Tuesday, September 30, 2008

They're Fixing Something

About four years ago I was in the car with my niece--who was about 11 at the time--on my way to have one of those wonderful grown up/kid at work days. We passed a construction site and she asked me what they were fixing. I answered her "They're fixing something." About five minutes later she started laughing and, when I asked her why, she pointed out that not only had I given her a total non-answer but she had accepted it because it sounded good.

So this big old bail out--they're fixing something!

I keep hearing about the bail out but have yet to hear what it actually means. What do they want to approve? What are they voting against? I don't know if I think the bail out plan is a good idea or a bad idea because no one is talking about what it actually means.

I did hear our President on the news today saying that we--as tax payers--would buy the failing assets, wait for the market to correct and then resell the assets. Hello! Aren't these failing (and in many cases artificial) assets the problem. It seems to me like he is saying "We'll take your house of cards, protect it from the wind, and then when the wind stops give you back your house of cards." For crying out loud--it's still a house of cards.

On the other hand, for my Jewish friends, it is the beginning of a new year. I'm going to embrace that as well and wish you all a happy, happy new year and a healthy and wonderful next 12 months.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Point! That gave me a laugh - and something to say to my kids for next time!