Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Solstice

I always loved the part in The Great Gatsby when Daisy remarks that the longest day of the year is coming up and that she always plans to do something special but then it gets past her.

Well, this year, I'm no Daisy. I've got something really special to do--Bad Cat's Summer Swatch Me started today. We got to cast on yesterday and I started the first lace pattern of the sampler this morning.

Please note my nice shiny green needles. I love them long time. This is two repeats of six and I've made myself stop so that I can enjoy it for a few days.

The yarn is fingering weight alpaca from Snowshoe Farm in VT. I bought it at Rhinebeck two years ago and have been saving it for something really special. It's like knitting with a cloud. Keep checking back at their website. The store isn't up yet but I spoke to Terry the other day (random phone call looking for more of the pink yarn I got from her) and the she's working on getting the store up. You can also see them at VT Sheep and Wool and Rhinebeck if you're in the Northeast. P.S. Terry is lovely!

I've also cast on for my first side project--the Peacock Mitts. But I'm keeping those a secret until tomorrow.

So there you have it--a short post on the longest day.

I'm taking my knitting bag to the pool.

1 comment:

M.E. Greene said...

My knitting bag always follows me to the pool. I'm a bit down in the chops about the summer lace thing... I so want to join, but I fear I will not have an ounce of free knitting time for it. If I end up changing my mind I may contact BadCat and see if she'll let me sign up late. You were right, though, her lacework is fab!